Well, I finally bit the bullet and finished this cute little Turtle Pincushion Duo. I am glad I finished the pin cushions, but I am not happy with the final result.
When I made the smaller turtle, it was my first time sewing with felt, and I feel like it is not very pretty looking despite my best efforts. Actually, the turtle reminds me of the stitches on Frankenstein’s Monster. Maybe it’s a zombie turtle?
The small hexagons on his back were super fun to make, though, so that is a plus! I was so frustrated with the turtle as a whole that I didn’t even wash it when I was finished (as evidenced by the dark smudge on one of the yellow hexies).
The larger turtle went together a little easier, and he looks better than the smaller one, but I still had issues. For example, in the pattern, the set of hexagons is smaller than the top shell piece, and even though I followed the pattern religiously, mine was bigger so the final shell piece looks funny.
I am really happy with how my quilting turned out, though. Instead of marking the quilting pattern on the shell, I just sewed around in circles using the outside edge as a starting point.
I ended up getting so frustrated that I didn’t finish the large turtle with all the additional features it was supposed to have (scissor pocket, thread holder, etc.), but he does have the magnets in his front flippers.
I am definitely going to try this pattern again, but I am going to be extra careful about putting them together. Hopefully I don’t have the same problems again.
This is the seventh finished project from my Finish-A-Long Quarter 2 Project List.
**At times you’ll find some affiliate links scattered within my post, which means I receive a small amount of compensation if you end up purchasing something I’ve recommended.